|From time to time the incumbents at all parishes were required to make what was called 'a true Terrier' or description of all the Glebe lands, Meadows, Gardens, Houses, Tythes and other Rights' belonging to the parish. On 1 May, 1764, the Rector of Barwick-in Elmet, John Sumner, drew up a particularly detailed terrier, which was preserved by his successors and is now safely housed in the Leeds District Archives at Sheepscar for the use of grateful present-day historians.
His description of the Rectory, its outbuildings and surrounds is of particular interest and is given below The original spelling and punctuation have been retained but the text has been spaced out for easier reading. 'The Old House' (now a separate dwelling, No.2 Aberford Road)) is the eastern part of the present building and dates back to the fifteenth century. 'The New End', built in about 1700, forms the central part of the present building, the western part of which was added in Victorian times (see the cover of The Barwicker' No.10).
Most of the outbuildings have disappeared but it seems likely from its position that 'The Hay Barn' is the building which was recently converted into a house, No.2A Aberford Road. The new Rectory was built in the southern part of 'The Great Garden'. The site of 'The Tythe Barn', a very large building, is now occupied by modern housing. 'The Tythe Barn Croft' now forms Jack Heap's Field. Note the siting of the old school on Potterton Lane, north of the church.