The A.F.S. (Auxiliary Fire Service) formed prior to the second World War, was in the Leeds area led by regular Fire Brigade officers from Park Street, Leeds, then the main Fire Station. In August 1941 all fire services were re-organised, becoming the N.F.S. (National Fire Service).
Most of West Yorkshire was controlled from Leeds, becoming Fire Force Area 4. This was under the command of a legendary figure in the Leeds Fire Brigade, the late Jim Pilling O.B.E. who later took charge of fire-fighting in Hull during the worst of the blitz on that city.
Under the National Fire Service, Barwick, then part of Tadcaster R.D.C. was linked with Wetherby and Harrogate districts, and many more fire personnel were on a full time basis. Fortunately not many serious incidents occurred in the area, but fire crews were always available to assist in the high-risk areas, and to maintain the extensive supplementary water tanks and pipe-lines that were a feature of our towns and cities in those eventful days.