The 'New' Graveyard Back to the Main Historical Society page

The 'New' Graveyard

from Barwicker No. 73
Mar. 2004

Because of the splendid activities of Barwick in Bloom, the former burial ground, which nestles in the shadow of Hall Tower Hill, has been in the public eye recently. The plan is to create a wildlife area from what had been a rather neglected corner of the village. Wildflowers have been planted, and bird and bat boxes set up to make what will become an interesting feature.

The place is sometimes erroneously called 'The Methodist Graveyard' because of its situation but it was in fact created half a century before the chapel was built. Rev. William Hiley Bathurst (Rector of Barwick 1820-1852) in his log-book describes the situation in an entry in the year 1849.

"The Rural Dean having made a communication to the churchwardens to the effect that the church needed draining, and that a new burial ground was required, a vestry meeting was called, at which a Committee was appointed for carrying these measures into operation. It was thought that the expenses would be covered by a double rate for 2 years.

A piece of ground was given by Miss Gascoigne of half an acre for a new burying place. It was agreed that this ground should be enclosed with a wall, with an iron gate for entrance; that to enlarge the approach the Pinfold should be removed and rebuilt at the end of the town adjoining T. Braithwaite's farm-yard: that a wall should be built in place of the hedge at the east side of the old churchyard and that the soil should be removed from the wall of the church on the south side and an open drain made by the north wall.

The building work was put up for competition and the estimate of Wm. Nettleton of Thorner, being the lowest, was adopted. The new burial ground was consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon, November 8th."


The entry ends with a statement of expenditure:

s d
Paid to Wm. Nettleton (Estimate) 139 10 0
do.(extra work) 7 1 2
G. Backhouse (advising and overlooking) 7 10 0
Clarke and Perkins (Miss Gascoigne's solicitors)conveying land, etc. 13 16 8
Total 167 17 10


The 'new' graveyard served the parish for almost 50 years and is the last resting place of several prominent inhabitants. Its replacement in 1897 by an extension to the churchyard is described by Rector Colman in his parish history (see 'The Barwicker' No.61).

WILLIAM HILEY BATHURST


Back to the top
Back to the Main Historical Society page